London Bikeathon June 2010

Wednesday 15 April 2009

Reflections from Mike and Phil

Reflections from Mike and Phil

Mike writes 'Reflecting 48 hours after the ascent, there is no doubt in my mind that this was the most difficult physical and mental challenge I have faced. The reward though of reaching one of the summit points at 5:30am on Mount Kilimanjaro and watching a magnificent red African sunrise shed its light on Kilimanjaro's huge crater was a fulfilled objective for me. The amount of energy though that had to be expended in reaching that stage should not be underestimated as scree slope became increasingly steep during the night climb and gave way to a boulder scramble before eventually reaching Gilman's Point at approximately 18,740 feet. At that height, breathing is difficult and recovery time longer than at lower levels but staying in one position on the climb was not an option because of the intense cold. The final stage of the climb for me was over what appears to be giant ice cubes but in reality these were ice covered boulders! Our guide did not want us to stay very long at the top and knowing how tired I was and that I had to get back down, a further 2 hour up and down trek to the other side of the crater to Uhuru was neither a serious or sensible option for me. I was also aware that we were expected to walk the 8.3km back across the Alpine desert from Kibo huts to Horombo when the descent was completed! All that with very little food as well did give rise to questions of personal sanity! Team Shooting Star should be proud of all of its members and the team spirit that has been shown throughout is something that I shall never forget. It was unsurprising that several recovery beers were required when we got back to our hotel!

Phil writes' the trek undoubtedly lived up to the promise of being the most difficult thing we would ever attempt. I have an intense feeling of pride and satisfaction-not so much in the height gained but in the effort I was able to put in and maintain for so many gruelling hours. The camaraderie, friendship and strong support of my fellow climbers will remain with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment